Saturday, October 25, 2008

Diwali Blues

It's that time of the year again...when I get lower than an earthworm's bellybutton. Characteristic of a seasonal phase, I feel lonely and depressed and wonder what I'm doing so far away from the people I love. 

When I walk these streets and stare at cold, sterile buildings each trying to outdo each other, I miss Diwali all the more. And home.

I can almost see my little town's every street, every home lined with warm, glowing diyas. I can see mom greeting everyone she meets, sweets being exchanged and me gingerly waiting for the next big 'bomb'. I can still feel the unconfined excitement of the neighbourhood gang waiting for dad to bring 'patakis'. I can smell the crisp aroma of 'thukudis' and the sweet sensations of 'ladus' in your mouth. Every association of Diwali is nostalgic and inviting and lends a strange, warm glow that fills the insides of your heart.

Everyone's home and yesterday's phone call drove me to tears. Most of all my brat-of-a-niece. As she animatedly (& secretly) told me her plans to plant 'maale pataki' behind her unsuspecting uncle (read my bro), I remembered my antics. And the time I burnt the sole of my feet :) Mom complained about how 'electric' diyas were replacing the traditional ones. And I saw her point. From my very early Diwalis, I used to stay on late into the night, making sure that each diya being blown by the wind was replenished with a fresh flame. An act that gave me immense peace. We used to sit up and watch out for the last dying firecracker, leaving it's whimsical trail behind...signaling the end of another Diwali night.

I try at my end here to light a little diya in my home, but it's just not the same. Without the intangible warmth of family and friends to make it glow brighter, it seems incomplete and listless. 

A cynical old friend calls it my 'delusion' - typical of Indians living abroad who think it's romantic to sigh about India and home. Maybe it is, I don't really know...but as long as I still pine to be 'home' for Diwali (or otherwise!), I would like to remain in this perpetual 'state of delusion' :)

To all you guys out there, wish you a sparkly, bright and beautiful Diwali...with or without your loved ones.


12 comments:

Bnu said...

hi frnd
happy diwali

mixdbrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mixdbrew said...

Thanks ! and wish you the same.

Pinku said...

thats so sad!!!

why cant everyone be home for Diwali??

they ought to.

am feeling sorry for you...wish there was someway of celebrating alone but it never quite works out right...like that Sab TV ad...we do need friends and family for enjoying don't we? like they say sharing is joy.

Here's wishing you a glorious year ahead and a lil prayer that says that you never spend another diwali alone or for that matter any festival or special day!!

mixdbrew said...

Thanks Pinku. You are my heart's 'peacemaker' :)

mixdbrew said...

Hey! I forgot to wish you a Happy Diwali...Wish you a wonderful Diwali too.

Anonymous said...

Hi brew,
Wish you a Happy Diwali !!! Ur post really sounds sad but I don't know why didn't u go back home for Diwali?

I did and for me, it was a return to lighting crackers coz. my son is now 1 and he enjoyed watching the sparkles.

Just call me 'A' said...

"lonely and depressed and wonder what I'm doing so far away from the people I love"

spoken like an alter ego me! :) enjoyed reading. will come again!

mixdbrew said...

Hey Rakesh! I couldn't make it simply coz i've changed jobs...and a leave was out of the question, considering i was working weekends as well.

Thanks for your warm wishes and wish you and your family a (albeit late) happy diwali too :)

mixdbrew said...

Hey 'Just call me a'!! Welcome in :)

Thanks for dropping by. A lot of people living abroad tell me that as well...so I know what you go through.

Well...we can be sisters in our sorrows, better drowned in drink :)

Pinku said...

hey you being missed...whats up?? no new posts!!!

hope its something more than work thats keeping you away ;)

mixdbrew said...

Sob! unfortunately Pinku, it is work that's keeping me away :(

I'm writing today to try and make up for lost time...although i'm so spaced out, i can't collect my thoughts!!

Thanks anyways for reminding me to write :)