Thursday, September 18, 2008

From the frying pan...

Yawwwwn. First day at my new agency and I'm bored to death. This place is so  claustrophobically professional, it’s weird! For the 1st time in my life, after 6 years in the business, I have had a 3-hour ‘orientation’ with  133-pg. PPT’s thrown in for a major snooze fest. Seriously, who does these things in an ‘ad agency’??!!?? It’s unheard of and so pseudo! Who gives a rat’s ass for your KISS strategy? (which  if you are curious, is the ‘Key to Impact Sales Spots’. Why, oh why, does a writer need to know that fudge?? Although I admit the word shook me awake and I thought ‘now, we are getting somewhere!’ I should have known…)

Seems like I’ve signed up for the military, with a skewed helmet and without my camouflage. Serves me right for choosing a multi-trillion dollar conglomerate over a fun, mid-sized thought shop. 

Oh well…the decision was purely for the moolah and my plans to retire early. Or alternatively, to afford a toy-boy in my senile yet sensible years :) 

I miss my ol’ team though – a bunch of whackos, my partners-in-crime. We always dreamed up schemes to raise hell and I miss that – that whole ‘agency’ feeling of laughing as you work, fighting as you work, scheming as you work. The guys call me every single minute to give me updates and nostalgia bites me in the rear.  

Hmm…maybe it’s the first-day blues, but you can get a feel of a place from day one. I’ve always had a feeling of the ‘feel’. The ‘feel’ this time is of a laughter-less, jaded, hostile, pressure-cooker environment. And I don’t hear music.

 Sob. So this is fire.  

4 comments:

Chaggoholic.... said...

Well good to know about ur first day and the relevant sales terminology-KISS;) LOL Hopin u get ur old mischievous ways back soon at the new place.Enjoy till then....

Anonymous said...

Weird how this post scares me from looking for better prospects.

Parry said...

ha ha is that JWT? dont worry you can actually ask for a fatter package when you hop across next.But coming back from DXB??? honestly was that sensible?

Pinku said...

hey!!!

Hope the blues have turned a lil pinkish in hue...and you have started enjoying the new place a bit.

Its very difficult to fit in especially if you have left a fun team behind...but guess all of us have to move on...thats life.

All the best!!!